There is a lot to consider when you’re picking a new toilet for your home. Things like toilet type, color, height, and more are all factored into your decision which may feel a little overwhelming.
But with just a little research you’ll be able to pick your new toilet easily.
Determine The Needs of The Space
You’ll first want to think about where this toilet will be placed. Will it be in your office, master bedroom, or kids’ room? Will it be more of a basic model or are you wanting a luxury feel to the bathroom? Considering these questions can help you determine what kind of toilet you’ll need.
Measure Your Space
Before you begin shopping around for the perfect toilet, you’ll need to make sure that you know how much space you have to install it. The distance between the wall and floor drain is called the rough-in and is the most important measurement when installing a new toilet.
Types of toilets
- Two-Piece toilets. These are the most common types of toilets used. They are typically more affordable and replacement parts are easy to find. They feature a separate bowl and tank.
- One-piece toilets. These toilets have a stylish, sleek design and can save space in small bathrooms. They also don’t have any small crevices so they are easy to clean. However, they may have a higher upfront cost. The bowl and tank are not separate and are made up of one piece.
- Wall-Mounted Toilets. Wall-mounted toilets can be installed at specific heights and are great for transfers from walkers or wheelchairs. They also eliminate the need for a base so they are easy to clean as well as keep the floor underneath clean. The purchase and installation costs may be higher and they require a strong wall for mounting.
- Water Saving Toilets. A single flush can use as much as 7 gallons of water depending on the year your toilet has been made. Water-saving toilets are more eco-friendly and use roughly 1.28 gallons per flush.
- Urinals. Urinals are more common in public men’s restrooms than at home but these can be a great option for where a man spends a lot of time such as the garage or man cave. They are wall mounted and save a lot of space. They also don’t use much water with water-less options available.
- Smart Toilets. If you’re going for a luxurious or spa feel to your bathroom smart toilets are a great option. These have comfortable features such as bidets, heated seats, and air dryers for a hygienic cleaning that can also save on toilet paper.
Things to Consider
Now that you’ve gotten to know a little bit about the types of toilets you have to choose from, there are a few other things to consider when picking the right toilet for you. Here are some other factors to keep in mind.
- Toilet Bowl Shape. The two kinds of bowl shapes are elongated and round toilet bowls. Elongated bowls allow for better comfort when seated while round bowls are best for small space areas.
- Toilet Seat. Just like with the bowl shape there are two main types of toilet seats, round and elongated. Toilet seats can also have additional features such as a bidet, lighted seat, children’s seat, easy release, soft close, and heated seat.
- Toilet Height. Measured from the top of the rim to the floor there are a few different toilet heights. This includes tall, comfortable, and chair height. The standard height is 14 to 15 inches from the floor whereas ADA-compliant toilets have a rim height of 15 to 17 inches.
- Toilet Color. Most commonly toilets are white but other colors such as black and almond can be used to match your personal aesthetic.
- Toilet Profile. There are 3 types of toilet profiles that should be considered with the design of your bathroom. One with a visible trap, a skirted base, and a concealed trap. These can help alter the design of your bathroom.
- Flushing Types. This includes dual-flush toilets, single-flush toilets, power-assisted toilets, and pressure-assisted toilets.
Now that you’ve learned what kinds of toilets are available and each of their benefits, you’re ready to move forward on getting your perfect toilet.
The professionals at Adeedo are ready to help make your bathroom everything you want. Give us a call today!